Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Commissioning Service


Last Sunday we gathered together as a core team for our Commissioning Service. 54 adults and 25 kids came together for the first time officially as the Seed Austin movement (and by the way, we’ve given ourselves a self-imposed August 15 deadline to finalize a church name). I could explain what we did in detail and tell you how excited we are about how God is moving this group of people, but I decided to just share an email sent to us by one of the wives in our church. We love you all dearly and thank God for your continual support.

“I'm still thinking about how amazing the first church meeting was last night! I can't imagine it going any better. I really did love the whole thing.... how perfect to tell the story of God's hand in bringing everyone there (Will, you got me teary at several places)... and I loved getting to hear all of you read scripture up front and lead on the affirmations. Y'all are each so strong up front and I could listen to you read the Word all day long! I also loved it because it was a reminder of how many great leaders the Lord has brought to this church. I think the reading of the scriptures and the corporate affirmations and vows were really powerful last night... kind of the culmination of everything God has been bringing together... and the very first worship together. Awesome.

And then to have the missional focus and brainstorming and prayer time.... just amazing to engage in that from the start as a body. I love how that is in our DNA. It moved me when some of the kids even joined in and then when my Mom prayed (in our family prayer time) how she already senses the Lord using the words spoken at the picnics and the focus last night to challenge and change the way she views her days and the people on her path.

And on a logistical note, I thought the room was perfect and had a really good feel to it and was the right size... greeters and nametags when people arrived was a smart move.... the child care was seamless... the big white boards were fantastic... water in the back of the room was a great call... Cindy documenting the meeting with photos made the nostalgic part of me really happy... and the Central Market time was great and people were unhurried and talkative with each other. Seriously, I thought it was all so good. The Lord answered so many prayers for last night and is going before us in many ways. I'm still not believing how many people are in the core phase. God is already building this church beyond our expectations.



You can only have a first church service once and I thought that was an unbelievable beginning.

To the Lord be all the glory!”

No comments:

Post a Comment